Schulthess – Your Partner for Science and Practice
A traditional family business with a future
A family business for more than 200 years, Schulthess not only held its position, but has become one of today’s leading publishers of law books. Founded in 1791 as a publishing and printing business, its initial focus was on the publication of school books and of theological as well as historical works. In the 1830s, the founder’s son expanded the business by launching a book store in Zurich. Schulthess quickly gained an excellent reputation for its landmark publications both nationally and internationally. By the end of the 19th century, the company’s main focus shifted to scientific, primarily legal textbooks, establishing Schulthess as Switzerland’s leading publisher of law books.
Some figures relating to Schulthess:
- over 2,000 works in print, including 42 publication series and numerous electronic publications;
- portfolio of 20 highly acclaimed scientific journals;
- 200 new releases and new editions each year;
- twenty per cent of our publications are in French, and besides German, we also publish in English, Italian and other languages.
- we hold bookstores in two major Swiss cities, and our range of products is completed by an online bookshop.
- Schulthess is one of the principal shareholders and most important content suppliers of Swisslex, Switzerland’s leading online database of legal information with more than 800,000 full text documents and over 18,000 users. Thus, our E-Publishing section offers a fully systemized and comprehensive range of commentaries, monographs and periodicals.
To grow in one’s very own areas of competence while remaining innovative – these are the guidelines along which Schulthess has been expanding its program for the past decades to satisfy the demand of legal literature in all juridical fields and to cater equally to practical and scientific needs. We work with top-ranking scholars and practitioners, and our relationship is built on mutual trust, cooperative spirit, professionalism and loyalty. It has been growing for decades and has always embraced new input. We are committed to our authors, editors, readers and partners—they are our assets and deserve nothing less but top-notch quality. Schulthess, by now a family-owned company limited by shares, employs more than seventy people. They are key to the company’s success and attend to the program as well as to authors and clients with utmost care, expertise, creativity and commitment. We are proud of our historical corporate culture that upholds philanthropic values and professionalism.